Next month, HDB will offer 4,940 flats in its August 2021 BTO launch across seven projects in three mature and two non-mature estates. Tampines will be one of the two estates offering two projects in the same BTO launch, with a total of 2,140 2-room Flexi, 3-room, 4-room and 5-room flats available.
Here’s 99.co’s detailed review of the August 2021 BTO at Tampines
Project name: To be announced
Location: Tampines Street 96 and Bedok Reservoir Road
[Both are located along Tampines Street 96 and Bedok Reservoir Road. So we’ll say one is next to Bedok Reservoir and the other one along Tampines Street 95 to differentiate the two projects.]
Classification: Mature estate
Number of units:
- Next to Bedok Reservoir: 540 (4-room and 5-room units)
- Along Tampines Street 95: 1,600 (2-room Flexi, 3-room, 4-room and 5-room units)
Number of blocks: To be announced
HDB’s estimated completion date: To be announced
Indicative price range:
The starting prices will only be announced during the August 2021 BTO launch itself. In the meantime, you can refer to these estimations based on nearby resale transactions and launch prices from recent BTO launches.
|3-room||S$250,000 – S$290,000|
|4-room||S$350,000 – S$430,000|
|5-room||S$480,000 – S$570,000|
Source: SRX. These estimations take into account property age and location. If a launch is nearer to an MRT or commercial development, it’s likely to be more expensive.
Compared to the other August 2021 projects, this Tampines BTO will probably be less popular. The last time HDB launched a project in the estate was less than a year ago in November 2020 for Tampines GreenEmerald, in which 4-room units saw an application rate of 4.0.
With that, let’s dive into the pros and cons of the August 2021 Tampines BTO project.
August 2021 Tampines BTO — The Pros
- It will take residents of either BTOs a 10-minute walk to Tampines West MRT and Bedok Reservoir MRT (Downtown Line) as they’re located in between these two stations.
- This also means that Tampines MRT will just be one stop away, where you can switch to East West Line.
- Another MRT line that’s easily accessible is Circle Line, which is just four stops away if you’re taking from Bedok Reservoir MRT.
- As for the drivers, the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) is just a few minutes drive away.
Food and retail amenities
- Like future residents of the Jurong East BTO, you’ll be spoiled for choice here.
- Tampines Central will just be one stop away, where various amenities are concentrated at. Here’s also where you can find three malls, namely Century Square, Tampines Mall and Tampines 1. Our Tampines Hub is also in the area.
- And this is another BTO in the August 2021 launch with an IKEA in the estate, although it’s not as close as the ones near the Queenstown BTO and Jurong East BTO.
- Located at Tampines North, it will take around a 30-minute bus ride to get there. Here’s also where you can find Giant and COURTS for more bargains and gadgets.
- A major highlight of this Tampines BTO is the variety of schools in the area, from primary to tertiary level.
- Schools within the 1km radius are Junyuan Primary, St Hilda’s Primary and Secondary, and St Anthony’s Canossian Primary and Secondary. The first two schools will be the nearest to the BTOs at around a 10-minute bus ride away.
- Temasek Polytechnic is just next to the BTO plot closer to Bedok Reservoir. But given how large the compound is, it will take around seven minutes to get there by bus.
- Other nearby schools in the area include Angsana Primary (moving to Tampines Street 22 in 2022), Changkat Primary, Poi Ching School, Yumin Primary, Chongzheng Primary, Gongshang Primary, Tampines Primary and Secondary, Changkat Changi Secondary, Junyuan Secondary, Pasir Ris Secondary, Springfield Secondary, Pathlight School, ITE College East and Temasek JC (holding site from 2023).
- If you’re really keen (and have the money) to send your children to an international school, United World College (East Campus) is nearby.
- Tampines Central is also where you can find Tampines Polyclinic at around 15 minutes away if you’re taking the bus.
- The nearest hospital, Changi General Hospital, will just be a six-minute drive away.
- Besides the polyclinic and hospital, two healthcare facilities are being planned to be built nearby both Tampines BTO projects. To be more specific, they will be on the west side and south side of the BTO along Tampines Street 95.
- But as of writing, there aren’t any details on what they’ll be and when they’ll be ready.
- Lots of recreational options are available here as well.
- For instance, Our Tampines Hub is around a 10-minute bus ride away. Besides eateries and shops, here’s where you can find various sports facilities such as a stadium and swimming pools (they have six of them).
- Another option is SAFRA Tampines that’s also around a 10-minutes bus ride away. Facilities you can find here include an indoor squash court and bowling alley.
- But if you prefer nature or water sports, Bedok Reservoir Park is just nearby at around eight minutes by bus. Or 16 minutes if you prefer to walk there.
- Prices for the Tampines BTO will be on the lower end of the spectrum since it’s located further from the city centre. SRX predicts the flats here will be the second cheapest after the Jurong East BTO.
- During the last launch in November 2020, 4-room flats had a starting price of S$334,000. So we can expect the starting prices this time around to be in the same range.
- Looking at the resale flat transactions over the past five years, the average price in Tampines West has increased by 12.51%. So we can expect prices for the new BTO to appreciate in the future as well.
- But don’t expect prices to be as high as those centrally-located flats. The average price here has been hovering around S$450,000 to S$500,000 in the last five years.
Type of flats
- Tampines is another estate in the August 2021 BTO launch offering five-room flats, besides the Hougang BTO.
- On the other hand, only one project (the one along Tampines Street 95) is offering five-room flats. It’s also a bigger project out of the two, so hopefully we’ll see a high number of five-room flats here.
August 2021 Tampines BTO — The Cons
Food and retail amenities
- Although there are a lot of malls nearby, both BTOs will be a little bit far from neighbourhood centres and supermarkets.
- It takes around a 15-minute bus ride to get to the nearest market and hawker centre, Tampines Round Market and Food Centre. It’s also where the nearest supermarket, NTUC Fairprice is at.
- For now, there aren’t any childcare centres within walking distance of the Tampines BTO.
- The closest one is PCF Sparkletots at Blk 108 Bedok North Road, which takes around 10 minutes by bus to get there.
- There are a few MOE Kindergarten in the area, including Junyuan Primary, Gongshang Primary and Tampines Primary. The first two mentioned will have their kindergarten opening in 2022. But these are also not within walking distance.
- While there are many schools in the area, none is within walking distance of the BTO projects.
- It will take around 10 minutes to get to the nearest schools — Junyuan Primary, St Hilda’s Primary and Secondary.
What else we noted about the August 2021 Tampines BTO
- Although various amenities are available in the area, only the MRT and Bedok Reservoir will be within walking distance.
- The flats are around a 20-minute bus ride to Changi Business Park, so there’s some rental potential here.
- With 2,140 units available, this Tampines BTO has the highest number of units among all the August 2021 projects.
- Both BTO sites are surrounded by HDB, condos, future residential projects and industrial parks. The condos nearby, Aquarius By The Park and The Clearwater, are 18 storeys and 17 storeys tall, respectively. So there’s a low chance of getting an unblocked view here.
- So the best way to get an unblocked view is to secure one of the flats facing Bedok Reservoir.
- This BTO is also right next to Temasek Polytechnic. To be more specific, it’s right next to its stadium. So expect some level of noise pollution.
- The BTO along Tampines Street 95 is next to land parcels proposed for a petrol station, a place of worship, a community institution and two healthcare facilities. If you plan to ballot for a flat here, be prepared for the noise level during construction and when they’re up and running.
- BTO projects launched in Tampines since 2011 mostly have “Green” in the name. So we won’t be surprised if the August 2021 projects follow the same naming convention.
Our verdict on the August 2021 Tampines BTO
Like the Jurong East BTO, the two Tampines BTO are the furthest from the city centre compared to the other three projects.
But just like Jurong East, Tampines is brimming with various amenities such as retail, recreational and educational facilities. Residents don’t have to travel further for essentials.
We think both BTOs are best for those who want to live closer to nature. Among all the August 2021 projects, both projects are the closest to a park. In fact, Bedok Reservoir Park is just down the road.
August 2021 Tampines BTO: Should you apply?
Yes, if you really want to secure a flat in this launch. 2,140 units will be available here, and Tampines is less popular than Queenstown, Hougang, Kallang/Whampoa and Jurong East. So you’ll face less competition here.
If you’re looking for a cheaper BTO to ballot for, the flats here will also likely be more affordable.
Will you apply for the August 2021 Tampines BTO? Let us know in the comments section below.
If you found this article helpful, check out our August 2021 BTO reviews here:
- Jurong East
Looking for a property to buy or rent? Find your dream home on Singapore’s largest property portal 99.co! If you have an interesting property-related story to share with us, drop us a message here – we’ll review it and get back to you.
The post HDB August 2021 BTO In-Depth Review: Tampines appeared first on 99.co.